Review SharkRF openSPOT

Hotspots were not developed to replace repeaters, but rather to supplement them. In areas where there is No repeater, a hotspot allows the user to connect directly to a digital network via the internet. In areas of Heavy repeater use, a hotspot allows the user to access the network without competing for an available time slot.

If your local repeater gives you access to a network such as DMR-MARC, an openSPOT can give access to networks such as Brandmeister. You will now have access to the best of both worlds.
Summary

DMR repeaters are being placed in service daily, but currently there are only around 800 repeaters in the US. As for me, I am 25 miles away from my two nearest repeaters and require an outside antenna to reliably use them (and I’m one of the lucky ones). In some areas of the country, digital repeaters don’t exist.

The solution quickly became obvious. To enjoy the freedom of a handheld, I needed the help of a hotspot. After listening to several configurations over the past several months, I am convinced daily that I definitely made the right decision with an openSPOT, with everything I need condensed into one small package.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up
.
Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO

SharkRF openSPOT
https://groups.io/g/OpenSPOT
.